Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lao Tzu on True Wisdom




This quote really caught my eye:

"Those who know others are intelligent; those who know themselves are truly wise . Those who master others are strong; those who master themselves have true power." 

-Lao-Tzu

I notice a lot how much time I spend thinking about other people.

Often, this is in seemingly good ways. I think about troubles in their lives and how I can help. I think it is important that we reach out and try to help each other, I mean, what else are we here for really? But, it is also important to honor people's ability to struggle with and solve their own problems on their journey through life. And it is important to make sure that our "helpful impulses" stay pure and don't become another way to criticize, judge and attempt to control others.

As the quote points out "self mastery" is the greatest power any of us can achieve and it is perhaps in our own self development that we help the rest of our world most of all.

1 comment:

Kate @ Ex Libris said...

Very true and definitely something to think about.